Sunday 15 May 2011

BMD Quotes 3

 
High birth is an accident, not a virtue.
(Metastasio, Italian writer & poet)


I married beneath me - all women do.
(Nancy Astor, British politician)


Being a husband is a whole-time job. That is why so many husbands fail. They cannot give their entire attention to it.
(Arnold Bennett, British novelist, The Title)


The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine to myself would be the union of a deaf man to a blind woman.
(Coleridge, English poet)


Every woman should marry - and no man.
(Benjamin Disraeli, British statesman)


Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long time.
(Auber, French composer)


To die will be an awfully big adventure.
(J.M.Barrie, British novelist, Peter Pan)


Death-bed repentance is sowing seed at Martinmas.
(Gaelic proverb)


I do not believe that any man fears to be dead, but only the stroke of death.
(Francis Bacon, British philosopher)


Most of the people who will walk after me will be children, so make the beat keep time with short steps.
(Hans Christian Andersen’s funeral plans)


Nonsense, they couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.
(Alleged last words of US General John Sedgwick, in response to a suggestion that he should not show himself over the parapet during the Battle of the Wilderness)


I think I could eat one of Bellamy’s veal pies.
(Last words of William Pitt the Younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment