During what is a very quiet time in the family history world, we'll begin with a mini round-up from two of my favourite blogs. First up is Chris Paton's BritishGENES blog:
- Scottish Catholic Archives to survive, it seems;
- New family history TV comedy show;
- Scottish Local History Forum Conference.
Next we have Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy News blog:
If you're sat there waiting for the release of Ancestry's 'Family Tree Maker 2013', then best read this.
Here's an unusual and somewhat obscure resource: the British Armorial Bindings Database.
OK, so I'm a few days late with this one. A brief look at the family history of Elvis Presley, some 35 years after his death.
Home Guard records for WWII for County Durham have been released by TNA - see here.
The latest gathering of interesting history links is available from the Two Nerdy History Girls.
Check out this little video of the most popular baby names in England & Wales for 2011.
Forthcoming events of interest to the family historian:
- Saturday 25th August - West Midlands Area Group Family & Local History Fair, Worcester Rugby Club;
- Saturday 25th to Monday 27th August - Family & Local History Fair at Whitechapel Village Hall, Goosnargh, nr Preston;
- Saturday 25th August - Macclesfield Book Fair;
- Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th August - Bandon Walled Town Festival;
- A reminder that the Heritage Open Days are being held over 6th-9th September;
- And remember that it's still Irish National Heritage Week;
- Postcard Fairs at Stockport (25th), Rochester (26th), Bloomsbury (26th), East Grinstead (27th), Tolworth (27th) & Birmingham (29th) - see here. There is also a Postcard/Stamp Fair at Berwick Parish Centre, off The Parade, Berwick-upon-Tweed, on Saturday 25th, 10.30am-4pm (contact Gareth Burgess on 01368 860365). Please remember to contact organisers before travelling any great distance;
- BBC's 'Things To Do' page.
Don't forget the BI-Gen Twitter feed for other news items and stories (bit quiet lately!).
When You Gotta Go...