Thursday 28 April 2011

The Next Big Thing

I am dedicating this day’s blog entry to showing you around BI-Gen, and, in particular, to tell you about the site’s new area – an exciting new development in which, I hope, you will all participate, and perhaps begin something which will become a major new online resource.

I guess I might as well start with the latter, as I’m sure you’re all terribly excited.  In fact, you may already have spotted the new area of the website in the menu bar above:  the SURNAME REGISTER.  OK, so it’s hardly an original idea, but why not, eh?  As BI-Gen is still quite young, it will take a while to get off the ground, but I’m in no hurry, and it’ll give us time to shape the new feature until it fits our needs just right!

Anyway, it is completely free – at least until it begins to take up too much of my time – but let’s cross that bridge when we come to it.  For the moment, have a read of the lengthy introduction via the link above, and get in touch with me – either with your research interests, or any queries or suggestions.  I have tried to cover everything, but I don’t doubt that I overlooked something or failed to spot a problem or two.

What I need most of all, though, is your support.  So please get in touch with me ASAP so that we can get this thing off the ground.  I shall not be publishing the Register until it is of a decent size and scope, so come and join the fun!



Other than the launch of the Surname Register, I would urge you all to spend a few minutes exploring the other areas of BI-Gen, too.  It’s all quite straight-forward, really, and I don’t want you to miss anything.  You should start with ‘About BI-Gen’, then just move through the menu step-by-step. 

As you can see, the main thrust of the site is to list commercial firms and services – and if there are any out there who aren’t listed, then please let me know (it’s free, unless you want to pay to get to the top of your category).  There are some areas of BI-Gen which have not seen any action at all yet, such as the ‘For Sale/Wants’ and ‘New Products’ sections – so let’s get these moving if we can (have a look at them and see if you can use the areas in any way – especially if you’re a commercial concern).  If you contact any of the businesses listed, can you let them know that you spotted them on BI-Gen, so that they can see where the custom is coming from?

After you’ve had a good look at the website you may have some suggestions or ideas for BI-Gen; if so, then get in touch with me at micksouthwick@blueyonder.co.uk and I promise to give you a fair hearing! 

Finally, if you can recommend or help promote BI-Gen to anyone, then go ahead and do so.  I can even supply posters and/or A5 flyers for you to hand out at meetings, fairs, conferences, etc.  I will even write a short article about BI-Gen for your society journal.  Just send me an email.

If you’re a bit shy about contacting me, then don’t be – even if it’s just to say ‘Hello’.  It’s good to know there’s someone out there reading my ramblings!

No comments:

Post a Comment