Tuesday 26 April 2011

New Scots Website

NEWS

The ScottishGENES blog has picked up the news of the launch of the new 'National Records of Scotland' website - as Chris Paton says, though, it is little more than a 'portal' to the existent sites with which you will be familiar.  Worth bookmarking the new URL, none the less, as it is sure to be an essential point of reference in the future.

The May issue of the BBC History Magazine is now on the market.

ARTICLES

MyHeritage has posted an interesting blog entry on the subject of rare British surnamesBlimey, and I thought my surname was rare!  Interestingly, they say that there are only two MacQuoids on the British electoral register - well, one of them was the headmaster of my son's former school, and I suppose the other one must be his wife!

Needless to say, another couple of pieces on weddings have popped up.  Ancestry look at our wedding traditions, here; and there is a pictorial look back at wedding-day fashions, here.

ON THIS DAY

1986:  Chernobyl Disaster (25th anniversary).


P.S:  Thanks to all of you who have joined me as official 'Followers' of the blog - I note that there has been a bit of a surge of late!  No obligation to officially 'Follow' the blog, of course - but you can still say 'hello' via micksouthwick@blueyonder.co.uk, or, of course, post the occasional comment to the blog entries.  Please stay tuned, as I plan to make a major announcement soon regarding a new area of the site - I'll let you know by the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment