Monday 25 April 2011

Don't Forget Local History Month

NEWS

I know I've mentioned this before, but May is Local History Month here in the UK.  I can't really help you with specific local events, but I can encourage you all to keep your eyes open for what might be on offer in your own locality - usually via your local library or the local press.  It's a great opportunity to learn a bit about your local community - and maybe a bit about the lives of your ancestors, too, of course.  The Historical Association is supposed to be co-ordinating events nationally, but their online database seems to be a little undercooked - see here.  Many events will require advance booking, so get looking now!

Book fair enthuasiasts may be interested in several forthcoming events organised by the PBFA - namely, those at Devizes (30th April), Alexandra Palace, London (1st May), and Hestercombe, Taunton (1st May).

There has been a burst of activity on the ReadIreland website, with a host of new book reviews - including a fair amount of historical stuff.  Click here, then go to 'ReadIreland Book News'.

ARTICLES

MyHeritage has posted a very interesting blog entry about early photography, here. Fascinating.

OTHER STUFF

And as news is a bit thin on the ground today, I thought I'd bring you a couple of cartoons which I came across earlier today...


[By Jonathan Brown of www.inkstains.com]




[By the Far Side's Gary Larson]



2 comments:

  1. The DarthVader cartoon had me laughing outloud!
    Thank you!
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried that some of my readers might not get it - after all, not everyone's a Star Wars fan!

    ReplyDelete