Tuesday 29 May 2012

Events this Coming Weekend


What, with it being the Jubilee weekend and all, there's not a huge amount happening events-wise - but here are a few bits and pieces (including a rare appearance by myself!):

Good news from The National Archives website, with the announcement that the 'Opening Up Archives' project is to be extended.

Here's a nice family history-related story from Scotland, and the new Forth Rail Bridge Memorial.

A second series of the Find My Past TV show is being planned - see here.

Are you slightly confused about the recent announcement from FamilySearch re. the IGI? Here are a few valid points from blogger Chris Paton.

Chris also brings to our attention a useful website dedicated to the history of the Irish postal service.

For those who aren't aware of it, here's a great website about WWI (website currently being re-jigged).

I like this write-up about what is allegedly the world's oldest surviving wooden church.

OK, so I'm a bit late with this one, but it seems that you can get yourself a 10% discount on any FindMyPast subscription at the moment by using the code SUB10 at checkout. So get yourself to their website at www.findmypast.co.uk, have a look around, then consider subscribing using the said code.




Epitaph of an infant, 8 months old:

Since I have been so quickly done for,
I wonder what I was begun for.


2 comments:

  1. Saw your reply on Marian Pierre-Louis' blog today, and thought I'd see your blog details. Loved the oldest wooden church link. When I was visiting in England about 15 years ago, I saw 2 of the 3 round 13th century churches in England, and found them fascinating. Something to think about - I follow all blogs on Google+, and/or on GoogleReader... not sure if you'd actually know how many people follow/read your blog because of those other options. Keep it up! Cheers from Vancouver BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Maybe I've got many more readers than I think - looking at the 'Blogger stats' is all I do in this regard. Haven't got into Google+ yet. I like your post on your blog about your grandmother telling lies - there was an awful lot of it about in the old days (and probably still is). Good to see you've come through your family's past OK.

    ReplyDelete