As you no doubt know, the weekend is often a time for a break from the genealogy news here on the BI-Gen Blog. From time to time I post opinion pieces about, well, whatever pops into my head - as well as occasional articles by other folk, too. These little efforts appear under the banner of 'Something for the Weekend', and are designed to give us a break from the usual fare of the blog, make us think a bit, make us smile, maybe - and perhaps offer a bit of controversy.
However, after slogging on for several months largely on my own, I'm beginning to run out of ideas. So how about a bit of input from you, the readers? If you’d like to write a piece for the ‘Something for the Weekend’ feature, run it past me - I'd really like to hear from you. There is no need to be an expert, a published author, or qualified in any way. You just need to have something interesting to say – or maybe you’d like to promote a product, a research technique or even show off your expertise! No fee will be paid for your post, but you can give something a little ‘plug’ if you wish (a book, a website, or whatever).
If you're interested, get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org . Remember, it can be serious, funny, controversial, thought-provoking - almost anything, really, as long as it has something to do with family history, genealogy or history in general. Ideally, it should be around 400-600 words, but this is only a rough guide.
In case you're still looking for a flavour of what I'm on about, here are the subjects covered so far:
- Something for the Weekend 1 - Fahrenheit 451;
- Something for the Weekend 2 - Guilty Pleasure;
- Something for the Weekend 3 - Time to Bring Vitality to Our Vital Records;
- Something for the Weekend 4 - Is the Census History?;
- Something for the Weekend 5 - Things Which Make Us Who We're Not;
- Something for the Weekend 6 - Genetic Genealogy: View from the Sidelines;
- Something for the Weekend 7 - The English Diaspora;
- Something for the Weekend 8 - The 'Academic Spring';
- Something for the Weekend 9 - According to Auntie Mavis... ;
- Something for the Weekend 10 - In the Shadow of Our Forebears;
- Something for the Weekend 11 - TV Genealogy: Back to Basics;
- Something for the Weekend 12 - Our Ancestors' Secret History;
- Something for the Weekend 13 - Mapping Their World.
So come on, don't be shy...